Monday, 4 September 2017
Friday, 1 September 2017
We have had loads of positive comments and its been tiring but fun.Will try and post more pictures tomorrow.
Monday, 28 August 2017
I have been very busy completing work hence no blogging. This will be wall hung at the show.
This is of a small piece that is waiting to be framed.
|Small piece, limpet shell. weaving, rust dyeing|
Friday, 28 July 2017
|Iron Dyed scarf|
Will try better next time in about a week
|More of my pieces|
|Mine and Liz's work|
|Liz is the rusted and blue piece|
|Liz and my denim piece|
|Liz Hewitt, beautiful pieces, pity about|
Friday, 23 June 2017
|Woad seeds ripe for harvesting|
|Various clothing items|
I have been doing a fair bit of eco printing and dyeing recently of clothing from charity shops for the 'Worn' part of our exhibition. Here are some curing before being washed.
Saturday, 17 June 2017
|Rust dyed woven fabric|
|On the loom, rusty colours|
|This piece is finished now|
Sorry the colours are a bit dark.
|Madder dyed clothing|
|Some of our onion crop|
This was the first batch to go in the bath. Cotton cloth, silk thread and woollen yarn. I was amazed at the difference in colour between the wool and the other fibres. I can't wear wool but am tempted to dye some wool scarves as gifts for winter.
I have done a few more yarns but will show them another time.
Hoping to dye a blouse for my Mum over the weekend.
Saturday, 3 June 2017
Next I am hoping to dye with Rosemary, Lavender and Eucalyptus all from the garden.
|Eco printed fabric and silk yarn|
The idea is to fundraise for Save the Children. Everybody who enters gets a portrait by another participant after the show. The closing date for portraits to be received is 31st July 2017 so I guess you can still enter.
When I started this piece I was going to do something clever and complicated to represent my work. In the end I did something simple, the me I would like to be and sometimes am. So someone will bet a portrait of the uncomplicated me along with my wonky stitching.
The words are by Mary Oliver and say 'When I am alone I can become invisible.
Saturday, 6 May 2017
|Papaver 'Patty's Plum' still one of my favourite flowers|
15 flower heads this year
|Detail of a rust piece|
Tuesday, 2 May 2017
|1 Dandelion, silk noil, silk and wool mix yarn|
|2 Cushion, old linen and hand stitch|
|3 Silk noil, from left wool, silk, wool and silk mix yarns|
|4 Silk noil, from left wool, wool and silk mix, silk yarn|
|5 Silk noil, from left wool, silk and wool mix, silk yarn|
Images 3, 4, 5, are all experiments using Logwood powder, a little goes a long way so I still have loads left. I probably wouldn't buy it again as I understand that the whole tree has to be cut down to obtain the dye but it does yield some lovely colours. Apparently it is slightly fugitive as well. All cooked in a stainless steel pan.
3 All of these had been previously dyed with rust and bark, the wool yarn on the left being the resulting colour, the rest were over dyed with the logwood and came out these lovely blues.
4 Logwood cooked for an hour and then left overnight in the pan, love these colours.
5 Using the left over dye with copper added, supposed to bring out the blues which it sort of has, it turned the dye into a very nasty looking soup.
I will have another go soon to try and get some lighter fresher colours.
Sunday, 30 April 2017
|Late afternoon sun last Thursday|
|Attempts at sewing with cotton jersey|
I learnt a few things, firstly stay stitching needs to be done using a larger stitch than you would normally for stay stitching, I stretched the neckline, you can see it still looks a little odd.
Secondly the neck binding needs to be stitched very carefully to get an even finish and thirdly the top stitching also needs to be done carefully. Fourthly American pattern sizing is very different from ours.
This isn't a proper mannequin so the shirt doesn't hang very well but this is an American size 6 (so flattering) which is equivalent to a UK size 10, it is supposed to be a loose fit but I normally make clothes in a UK size 12. The pattern was large round the neck I have taken about two inches from the neckline.
The basic pattern is very simple to put together, the finishing a little more complicated. I haven't bothered doing hems as its a trial one, though it will do fine for gardening.
The pattern is Fen by Fancy Tiger Designs which I bought online from The Village Haberdashery, its also available from Backstitch.